[Biojava-l] build error w/ JBuilder

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:12:01 +0100

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 10:47:49AM -0700, Ann Loraine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble building biojava w/ JBuilder,
> my favorite Windows IDE.
>
> The problem is with org.biojava.bio.seq.io.GenbankFormat
> variables HEADER, FEATURES, AND SEQUENCE -- JBuilder complains
> that these variables "cannot be static..; only members of
> interfaces and top-level classes can be static."
>
> org.biojava.bio.seq.io.EmblFormat also has this problem.

Hi...

Nested/inner classes still seem to be an area where semantics
vary from compiler to compiler :(.  All the uses in BioJava
work with both JDK1.2 and JDK1.3 javac implementations, so we
thought we were alright...

If this is going to be a persistant problem, then I guess the
use of inner classes in Genbank/EmblFormat can probably be
changed without too much upheaval, either by following Gerald's
suggestion or by simply making the `Context' classes separate
package-private classes.

Is there a particular reason why you want to compile BioJava
in JBuilder?  BioJava comes with its own simple build tool,
which ought to work on pretty much every machine which has
a reasonably sun-standard JDK installed.  You should still be
able to use JBuilder to edit the source even if you do swithc
to the standard build system.

I'm afraid I've never used JBuilder myself, so I'm probably missing
something here.

Happy hacking,
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is
constantly making exciting discoveries.
                                       -- A. A. Milne