[Biojava-dev] Hackathon update

Mark Schreiber markjschreiber at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:38:32 UTC 2009

Boston++

On 3 Aug 2009, 8:52 PM, "Richard Holland" <holland at eaglegenomics.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

10 people responded (including me). 5 of those are in Cambridge, UK, 3 are
in the US, 1 in Spain, and 1 in Singapore. 2 wanted to combine the hackathon
with a holiday, and 3 suggested linking the hackathon with a conference,
which would almost certainly increase chances of getting funding for
travel/accommodation from employers.

So, I have two options. Venues in both cases to be worked out later:

 1. Cambridge, UK, January 18th-22nd 2010. I know this is the middle of the
winter in the UK, but on the bright side, the Cambridge Winter Beer Festival
runs from the 22nd-24th, so that's something to cheer you up at the end of
the hackathon.

 2. Boston, USA, July 5th-8th 2010 (immediately before BOSC which is
9th-10th (TBC), then ISMB which is 11th-14th).

Both have pros and cons - the Cambridge meeting means 50% of the delegates
could attend for free and we might even be able to get a free venue, whereas
the Boston meeting would be attractive to anyone already planning to attend
BOSC or ISMB who might otherwise not be able to find funding for travel.

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that BOSC/ISMB is the better
choice, simply because of the wider range of potential delegates to attend
the hackathon. We could always have a Cambridge mini-meeting at some other
time. So, unless anyone objects, pencil in your diary for July 5th-8th in
Boston.

Please could all those interested vote yes or no for this plan so that I can
find a suitably sized venue. Attendance will need to be confirmed by the
date the venue sets for final booking/payment.

cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
Operations and Delivery Director, Eagle Genomics Ltd
T: +44 (0)1223 654481 ext 3 | E: holland at eaglegenomics.com
http://www.eaglegenomics.com/