[Biojava-dev] Hackathon update

Michael Heuer heuermh at acm.org
Fri Aug 7 17:23:53 UTC 2009

Richard Holland wrote:

> 10 people responded (including me). 5 of those are in Cambridge, UK, 3
> are in the US, 1 in Spain, and 1 in Singapore. 2 wanted to combine the
> hackathon with a holiday, and 3 suggested linking the hackathon with a
> conference, which would almost certainly increase chances of getting
> funding for travel/accommodation from employers.
>
> So, I have two options. Venues in both cases to be worked out later:
>
>    1. Cambridge, UK, January 18th-22nd 2010. I know this is the middle
> of the winter in the UK, but on the bright side, the Cambridge Winter
> Beer Festival runs from the 22nd-24th, so that's something to cheer
> you up at the end of the hackathon.
>
>    2. Boston, USA, July 5th-8th 2010 (immediately before BOSC which is
> 9th-10th (TBC), then ISMB which is 11th-14th).

I would suggest trying for both.  Winter in the UK means that a lot of
work would get done.  Attendance would probably be better for Boston.

I would caution that accomodations in Boston are quite expensive, and
that the 4th of July week is the busiest week of the year with tourists.
Perhaps the hackathon in Boston might be arranged flexibly around the
actual days of the conference, evenings and late nights and so on.

   michael