[Biojava-dev] Hackathon update

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Mon Aug 3 11:51:19 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

10 people responded (including me). 5 of those are in Cambridge, UK, 3
are in the US, 1 in Spain, and 1 in Singapore. 2 wanted to combine the
hackathon with a holiday, and 3 suggested linking the hackathon with a
conference, which would almost certainly increase chances of getting
funding for travel/accommodation from employers.

So, I have two options. Venues in both cases to be worked out later:

   1. Cambridge, UK, January 18th-22nd 2010. I know this is the middle
of the winter in the UK, but on the bright side, the Cambridge Winter
Beer Festival runs from the 22nd-24th, so that's something to cheer
you up at the end of the hackathon.

   2. Boston, USA, July 5th-8th 2010 (immediately before BOSC which is
9th-10th (TBC), then ISMB which is 11th-14th).

Both have pros and cons - the Cambridge meeting means 50% of the
delegates could attend for free and we might even be able to get a
free venue, whereas the Boston meeting would be attractive to anyone
already planning to attend BOSC or ISMB who might otherwise not be
able to find funding for travel.

I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that BOSC/ISMB is the
better choice, simply because of the wider range of potential
delegates to attend the hackathon. We could always have a Cambridge
mini-meeting at some other time. So, unless anyone objects, pencil in
your diary for July 5th-8th in Boston.

Please could all those interested vote yes or no for this plan so that
I can find a suitably sized venue. Attendance will need to be
confirmed by the date the venue sets for final booking/payment.

cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
Operations and Delivery Director, Eagle Genomics Ltd
T: +44 (0)1223 654481 ext 3 | E: holland at eaglegenomics.com
http://www.eaglegenomics.com/