[MOBY-l] About Moby central

Michael DiBernardo mikedebo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 22:28:29 UTC 2007

On 7-Aug-07, at 3:00 PM, maliha aziz wrote:

> I have a few question about the the way moby-central works?
> Do all the objects/ classes , service types that we define at some
> point in time when needed get stored in moby-central along with the
> web service information that the service providers provide when
> registering the service? what I am trying to say is that are the
> service type registries and the object registries and the service
> registries all present on the moby central or does it fetch it from
> some other place...

There are a bunch of files that actually store the specific
registries and specifications that you speak of. The moby central
script essentially provides a programmatic wrapper to those files. If
you wanted to, you could parse them directly with Jena or something
to extract the same information from them that Central does.

For example, the object descriptions are at http://
mobycentral.icapture.ubc.ca/authority/RESOURCES/MOBY-S/Objects.

> Apart from this does anyone know of a good paper or website where i
> can read about how moby central functions. All the papers that I
> have read emphasize on the power of biomby but talk little about
> the architecture of the moby-central that is i think co-ordinating
> all the requests and responses

The best way I found of learning how this stuff works was by playing
with the jmoby Central* implementations. I'm pretty familiar with how
it works at this point, so if you have a description of what it is
exactly that you're trying to do, I could probably point you in some
direction that approximates the correct one :) I am a recent Moby API
consumer, and so the experience of figuring out how all the APIs work
is still pretty fresh in my mind.

-Mike