[MOBY-l] Re: [MOBY-dev] lease versus agent for registry updating

Phillip Lord p.lord at cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Aug 15 09:35:58 UTC 2005

  Boris> Why not put the burden of the lease on the agent to combine
  Boris> the advantages of both models? I.e. if service is down for
  Boris> less then a specific time, it might not get deregistered but
  Boris> only flagged as temporarily unavailable ... then un-flagged
  Boris> as it comes up again, except if it's down for, say > 1week,
  Boris> then it gets deregistered.

  Boris> $0.02

Actually, this is just a modification of the agent idea, and not a
lease at all.

The idea of a lease is not just a burden on the service provide, but
it also has a positive advantage. It give the service provide the
ability to control how long they want the service advertised for in
the registry. Of course, they can do the same thing with the agent,
more or less; they just remove the RDF document after a certain time,
although, they don't know exactly when the agent will remove them.

At the end of the day, I am not sure that the two mechanisms are
hugely different in terms of their functionality. It seems to me that
the lease puts slightly more weight on the service provider, but will
provide better garbage collection (just become someone leaves an RDF
document on the web, does not mean that their service is actually
still up).

Phil