[MOBY-l] Re: [MOBY-dev] lease versus agent for registry updating

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Mon Aug 15 14:32:26 UTC 2005

A few advantages of the lease are not really advantages in practice:

1. No one will manually update their lease, they will put it in a cron
job.  Therefore you either need to edit your crontab, or remove from the
RDF file in the agent case.  Both are just as likely to be ignored by an
administrator when a service stops working.
2. Specifiying that the service is valid for a certain amount of time is
mostly useful for testing purposes.  You should really be using a test
registry in that case, not posting dubious services to the production
server.

The chief advantages of the agent are:

1.  You can trace the registration and deregistration of a service to a
particular domain name.  It's not great security, but at the very least
people require some serious work to pose as the NCBI on purpose (by
hacking their Web domain), and cannot by mistake (e.g. "I registered my
service using the NCBI authority ID because I'm using gi's").

2.  The RDF for the services does not have a single point of failure
(i.e. the central registry).

The one agent feature I would l;ike though is that I can call MOBY
Central to tell it that I've changed my RDF, i.e. pushing a
refresh. It's not critical though. If the agent runs once a day, you may
get some latency on bad services, but it's not the end of the world.
Tim Berners-Lee got a lot of flack for his Web idea because it didn't
enforce that what people linked to existed.  "People won't use it, they
may end up at dead links!" they said...