[MOBY] [MOBY-l] Object name conflicts

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Apr 20 19:27:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 10:36, Gabriel Berriz wrote:

> I wanted to register an object named "Interaction", but I discovered that
> an object of this name has already been registered.  Unfortunately, this
> Interaction object is not a suitable substitute for the object we had
> wanted to register under the same name, so we still would like to register
> our version of the "Interaction" object.  In other words, a textbook
> example of a namespace collision.

yup.  Like the GO, I was hoping that names could be human-readable, and
somewhat more specific than "Interaction", but that clearly does not
work in a community-curated system :-P

If you are desperate to namespace your object identifiers, then I
suggest that you register your object "term" as a full-blown LSID, since
that will be allowed by the registration system (though note that this
is currently untested).

Otherwise, to be safe, or if you prefer human-readability in your object
names, pick a more specific name (ProteinProteinInteraction, or
something like that) that wont collide with the existing name.

Also, be careful about putting colons or other strange characters into
your human-readable names, since the code might not be very forgiving of
that...  Nina begins work on Monday, and she will tighten up the
codebase and clean up all of these kinds of things, but for now, be
gentle!  This is NOT professionally written code!

> My temporary stop-gap solution was to register objects with names of the
> form "prefix:objectName", i.e. I resorted to a crude implementation of
> something like a namespace.  What's the word on dealing with such name
> collisions in the BioMOBY Object Ontology?  I think it would be nice to
> have namespace support for the names of objects in the Object Ontology.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gabriel

Mark Wilkinson (mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca)
University of British Columbia iCAPTURE Centre