[MOBY-l] Object name conflicts

Gabriel Berriz gberriz at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 20 17:36:04 UTC 2004

Hi.

I wanted to register an object named "Interaction", but I discovered that
an object of this name has already been registered.  Unfortunately, this
Interaction object is not a suitable substitute for the object we had
wanted to register under the same name, so we still would like to register
our version of the "Interaction" object.  In other words, a textbook
example of a namespace collision.

My temporary stop-gap solution was to register objects with names of the
form "prefix:objectName", i.e. I resorted to a crude implementation of
something like a namespace.  What's the word on dealing with such name
collisions in the BioMOBY Object Ontology?  I think it would be nice to
have namespace support for the names of objects in the Object Ontology.

Thanks,

Gabriel