[MOBY] Re: [MOBY-l] Policy on the use of prefix 'moby'?

Gabriel Berriz gberriz at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 13 15:48:01 UTC 2004

I realize now that the subject line for my post was somewhat misleading,
because it suggested that I was bringing up the issue of how strictly
software should enforce standards (which is an important one)

In fact my main concern is that some very common keywords (such as Object,
String, Integer, Float, text-plain) in the MOBY-S API belong to the default
namespace.  These keywords seem to me prime candidates for the kind of
collisions that namespaces are meant to solve.  It seems to me that
whatever rationale one may have for qualifying a keyword such as queryInput
or mobyData with the prefix moby applies with even greater force to a
keywords such as String or text-plain.

I realize that I'm a newcomer to BioMOBY, and don't know about earlier
discussions about this subject.  I am still figuring out my way
around.  When I kept coming across unqualified keywords such as String I
was not sure whether the BioMoby standard really intended to make these
keywords part of the default namespace, or whether the 'moby' prefix was
being omitted to avoid clutter and coders were also omitting it because the
software was tolerating this deviation from the standard.

Gabriel