[MOBY-l] Java in BioMoby

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Mon Dec 2 20:36:55 UTC 2002

Martin Senger wrote:
>    I have commited several Java files. They include a Java interface
> describinbg methods of Moby Central, and a Java client calling most
> methods of the Moby Central.

Great!  Thanks Martin!

>    The Java interface is used to generate a WSDL file. The file is
> included as well but its usage is currently limited because of the 'new'
> method use by Moby Central.

I am becoming more and more convinced that this was a Bad Thing right
from the start.  There is no great benifit to having an OO-style
interface to MOBY Central since we don't actually take advantage of it
(e.g. by storing things in "self") , and it doesn't "feel" right in any
case relative to the way the rest of MOBY Central works.

I'd be tempted to just forget it and re-code MOBY Central so that it
returns XML only.   If I could get a few hours free....

>    During this development I found few bugs (they may be both mine or of
> Moby Central). How can I report them (the 'Bugs' link on the biomoby.org
> seems to be still non-existent)?

For the moment just send them to the list.

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson, RA Bioinformatics
National Research Council, Plant Biotechnology Institute
110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada

phone : (306) 975 5279
pager : (306) 934 2322
mobile: markw_mobile at illuminae dot com