[MOBY-dev] Web Services in a secure World

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Thu Mar 13 10:06:48 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I like to start a discussion or ask for your knowledge about the
possibilty of using secure BioMoby Web Service.

The scenario is to register Web Services which work on https and only
people with a specific certificate are allowed to call this Web Service.

Another scenario is that people with different certificates can call the
same Web Service, but based on their certificate the Web Service does
behave differntly (like given out different data, working on different
databases or so).

Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the whole https and java - http
communication, so I like to ask you to give me some input about my ideas.

Establishing a https connection is not difficult, I'm currently thinking
about how to enable that different certificates are treated differently.

One possibility is to work on the level of the apache and do have
different authenifications for the certificates. Based on this
authentification people are directed to the corresponding service. But
this solution sound aweful, because you have to offer for each
certificate a service and this services have to be physically be
different so that not person A with certificate A can call service B
with some detours. So for me this is a really messy solution.

Is this correct or do I have an error in my scenario.

The other idea is that based on the certificate the Web Service checks
who has actually called. I tried with the current moby API to retrieve
any information about the certificate which was used for the calling
process, but I couldnt find any method which gives me such information.

So ist here any method which is or could return me any information.

Another idea was, because the certificate is actually non binary one
could send it as secondary. Is this reasonable to do so and is it
sufficient to do a simple equals in the web service or is any more
complex operation based on the certificate required.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any input, comments and suggestions
Andreas

PS:  just to verify - this is nothing which came up just in my mind - it
is a request from several EU-SOL partners ;-)