[MOBY-dev] General deployment question

Martin Senger martin.senger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 11:35:38 UTC 2008

> this i dont get. The implementing class is compiled into other/samples.
> In dashboard you have to enter the full package name (at least in the
> 'Implemented by class' field) - so this should give all information ?!

I have not known that you were referring to the 'samples'. The 'samples' are
a bit special: they are on the CLASSPATH when Dashboard starts - which
allows users to use them immediately in the Simple client panel. But they
are still not considered when deploying to a Tomcat. If I do so (and it is
easy to change it) then every user will have the samples deployed into
his/her Tomcat. I considered it wrong. I prefer to let a user to decide -
and if he/she wants to have the samples deployed, he/she can specify the
samples directory in the "Directory with the user's jar files". So the
quetsion now is: should I add the samples to the deployed jar files , as
well?

Regarding the package name: in that fields you specify a full package name -
but it is not its location, so Dashboard cannot use it to find the place
where the class physically sits.

and also - can you (or anyone) shortly explain what the 'Pattern for
> implementation class names' is ? i never use it and everything works,
> but still wondering what it is for.

It is for deploying to Axis (which is, so far, the only way we deploy jMoby
services). The Axis engine needs to know the class name that represents each
service (it uses it in its own configuration file server-config.wsdd where
all service names are mapped to their class names). You need, therefore,
specify for each service a class name in the table in the column
"Implemented by class". You can do it manually - in which case you do not
need to use anything in the "Pattern..." field. But the Pattern field helps
you fill it the column at the beginning, before you start editing it. If you
name your implementing classes, using some pattern that is the same for all
your services, except the part where is the service name itself, usage of
Pattern helps you that you need less editing (ideally no editing, at all).

email: martin.senger at gmail.com
m.senger at cgiar.org