[MOBY-dev] General deployment question

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Tue Mar 11 11:58:26 UTC 2008

Martin Senger wrote:
>> this i dont get. The implementing class is compiled into other/samples.
>> In dashboard you have to enter the full package name (at least in the
>> 'Implemented by class' field) - so this should give all information ?
>> I have not known that you were referring to the 'samples'. The 'samples' are
>> a bit special: they are on the CLASSPATH when Dashboard starts - which
>> allows users to use them immediately in the Simple client panel. But they
>> are still not considered when deploying to a Tomcat. If I do so (and it is
>> easy to change it) then every user will have the samples deployed into
>> his/her Tomcat. I considered it wrong. I prefer to let a user to decide -
>> and if he/she wants to have the samples deployed, he/she can specify the
>> samples directory in the "Directory with the user's jar files". So the
>> quetsion now is: should I add the samples to the deployed jar files , as
>> well?

not quite sure if we talk about the same ;-)

> But they are still not considered when deploying to a Tomcat

why ? the sample is my web service implementation class - of course i
want to have to in Tomcat...

> then every user will have the samples deployed into his/her Tomcat

in my project with my samples folder there are only my developed web
services, so my samples... what is the problem ?
we should try to figure out whether we talk about the same or if someone
(probably me *g) misses something ;-)

>> Regarding the package name: in that fields you specify a full package name -
>> but it is not its location, so Dashboard cannot use it to find the place
>> where the class physically sits.

assuming the default classloader the packname is identical to the
location... and the implementing class is inside build/others/samples -
so sorry still not getting the problem ;-)

>> and also - can you (or anyone) shortly explain what the 'Pattern for
>>
>> implementation class names' is ? i never use it and everything works,
>> but still wondering what it is for.
>>

> It is for deploying to Axis (which is, so far, the only way we deploy jMoby
> services). The Axis engine needs to know the class name that represents each
> service (it uses it in its own configuration file server-config.wsdd where
> all service names are mapped to their class names). You need, therefore,
> specify for each service a class name in the table in the column
> "Implemented by class". You can do it manually - in which case you do not
> need to use anything in the "Pattern..." field. But the Pattern field helps
> you fill it the column at the beginning, before you start editing it. If you
> name your implementing classes, using some pattern that is the same for all
> your services, except the part where is the service name itself, usage of
> Pattern helps you that you need less editing (ideally no editing, at all).

ok - this means all my web services have the de.mpg.mpiz_koeln.*Impl so
I can use that pattern instead to type in each servicename ?
Is the pattern then de.mpg.mpiz_koeln.${SERVICE}Impl ?

Thx much for your help
Andreas