[MOBY-dev] BioMOBY Asynchronous Service Call Proposal v2.3

Johan Karlsson johan at ac.uma.es
Tue Sep 26 09:02:09 UTC 2006

One simple way for a service to indicate the next "recommended" time for
a client to poll for status is to use the time progress event from LSAE
(already defined in LSAE and included in the proposal, so a client
should be able to understand it).

Quoting from the Life Sciences Analysis Engine specification at
http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?dtc/2005-04-01

---------------
Time progress event
Time progress event indicates the estimated number of seconds before the
job is completed. There is no requirement that
the estimated completion time decreases. An example:

<?xml version = "1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE analysis_event SYSTEM "AnalysisEvent.dtd">
<analysis_event timestamp="today">
<message>This is a TIME PROGRESS analysis event.</message>
<time_progress remaining="324"/>
</analysis_event>

In that example, the service estimates that it will take 324 seconds
until it completes the analysis, so a client could use that information
to decide the next poll-time?

Kind regards,
Johan