[MOBY-dev] RFC: jMoby will start using Java 1.5. from June 30, 2006

Stian Soiland ssoiland at cs.man.ac.uk
Tue May 2 17:55:29 UTC 2006

On 2. mai. 2006, at 17:37, Martin Senger wrote:

>    I am aware of your reply. But it is not clear what you mean by
> it. I
> looked into the page you refer to, and it did not tell me much. Sorry.

Sorry, it is mainly for internal use, so it was not very relevant.
What I tried to say was that we are also slowly switching to Java
1.5, but we are not yet requiring it. Several new features to come
will require 1.5 though.

>> We are aware that jMoby will switch to java 1.5, and it is one of our
>> arguments against ourself on why we should switch to java 1.5 as a
>> whole.
>    This is the sentence that my English is too weak to comprehend

We are doing a "Why we need Java 1.5" information gathering (to
convince the people who fund us), and that the new jMoby.jar will
require 1.5 just adds to the list. As developers we all want to go
for 1.5.

>    Old jmoby.jar will never stop working. It is working now under 1.5.
> fine. The problem is that we are suggesting to replace it by a *new*
> jmoby.jar (which will have some methods that are only available
> with Java
> 1.5).

This is fine, so users who want the new methods will simply have to
upgrade their Java and jmoby.jar, and possibly the plugin for Taverna.

--
Stian Soiland
School of Computer Science