[MOBY-dev] [MOBY-l] updating MOBY Central with input/output articleNames

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Tue May 2 09:55:51 UTC 2006

Hi all,

On 25-Apr-2006, at 4:53 PM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A few months ago the spec for service registration was tightened
> such that
> all inputs and outputs require an articleName.  This is now
> required also
> in Taverna workflows, and as such, many "illegitimate" services
> currently
> in the registry will not function with Taverna even though they are
> perfectly functional in reality.
>
> Given that these services are not looking for an articleName, it
> will do
> no harm to them if one were added.  Thus the fastest way to bring all
> service registrations back into compliance with the API would be
> for me to
> manipulate the MOBY Central database directly and add "dummy"
> articleNames
> ("input", "output") to all inputs and outputs that are currently un-
> named.
>
> Would this bother anyone?

It's fine with me. Actually I already registered most of my services
to use "input" and "output" as dummy articleNames to make sure they
worked in Taverna :). I was wondering the following though. Maybe
this is a question for Eddie. If
* articleName attributes are required for input and output articles and
* every service is registered with certain articleNames for their
inputs and outputs,
* wouldn't it be possible to let Taverna fill in those articleName
attributes automatically?

Currently I have to fill them in manually all the time and that is a
bit boring :(. Furthermore I already spent quite a bit of time
staring at XML wondering why something didn't work ... and in the end
it was a missing articleName or one with a typo.

Cheers,

Pi

> Please let me know ASAP.
>
> Mark

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen