[MOBY-dev] Versioning of LSID's + vote on RFC 1913 & 1914

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Fri Jan 27 13:07:29 UTC 2006

 From the W3C profile of the ISO-8601 specification:
"This profile defines two ways of handling time zone offsets:

1. Times are expressed in UTC (Coordinated Universal Time), with a
special UTC designator ("Z").
2. Times are expressed in local time, together with a time zone
offset in hours and minutes. A time zone offset of "+hh:mm" indicates
that the date/time uses a local time zone which is "hh" hours and
"mm" minutes ahead of UTC. A time zone offset of "-hh:mm" indicates
that the date/time uses a local time zone which is "hh" hours and
"mm" minutes behind UTC.
A standard referencing this profile should permit one or both of
these ways of handling time zone offsets.

Examples

1994-11-05T08:15:30-05:00 corresponds to November 5, 1994, 8:15:30
am, US Eastern Standard Time.

1994-11-05T13:15:30Z corresponds to the same instant."

So we should choose whether to permit time in UTC (with the "Z"),
time in local time (+/-hh:mm) or both... I don't have any specific
preference for either of the two but I guess supporting only one of
them makes lief easier as compared to supporting both. Whatever the
choice is I vote YES on both RFC 1913 and 1914.

Cheers,

Pieter.

On 27-Jan-2006, at 2:34 AM, Martin Senger wrote:

>> I guess it will be in whatever time-zone that particular registry is
>> in...
>>
>    I think that if you go ISO way, the 'Z' should be present (if not
> GMT) - at least that what I vaguely remember about this date/time
> spec.
>
>    Martin
>
> --
> Martin Senger
>    email: martin.senger at gmail.com
>    skype: martinsenger
> consulting for:
>    International Rice Research Institute
>    Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
>    DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
>    Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen