[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: RFC #1914 - change & call for vote

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Jan 17 23:53:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 00:06 +0100, Pieter Neerincx wrote:

> if you deregister the
> service fist.

If an object has nothing depending on it, then it is available for
deregistration and potential re-registration.  Note that this excludes
the possibility that you mentioned, which is that a service can be
"tricked" by someone changing the object definition.

>  Nobody checks if it's me who is deregistering my
> service or somebody else.

SSSSHHSHHhhhhh!!  Don't say that too loudly!  :-)

This is *exactly* the reason we are moving to an agent-based
deregistration system.  It will be impossible for someone else to
deregister your service.

> Same thing. What about deleting the childs first, then the parent and
> afterwards reregistering the whole bunch (childs first of course).

Yes, that's possible... but it doesn't matter.  If nothing is using an
object, then you can't do any harm by changing its definition... and you
can't change the definition if something is using it.

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future