[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: RFC #1914 - change & call for vote

Pieter Neerincx Pieter.Neerincx at wur.nl
Tue Jan 17 23:06:06 UTC 2006

Hi Mark,

Looks like the RFC is getting a solid proposal. Looking forward to
the final one :).

On  17Jan2006, at 21:55, Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 20:38 +0100, Pieter Neerincx wrote:
>
>> Some time later somebody else decides to update SomeObject, maybe for
>> something as simple as a typo in the description.
>
> They cannot.  MOBY Central will not allow this to happen (at least in
> its current codebase).  An ontology term that is being used by a
> service
> CANNOT be deleted or modified.

Hmmm true. Maybe this is getting a bit to theoretical. I have to
admit I have never tried this before, but what if you deregister the
service fist. Nobody checks if it's me who is deregistering my
service or somebody else. After that it would be possible to update
the object (or deregister the old one and register the new version).
Is that possible?

>> Another thing I was wondering about is relationships. What happens if
>> I have SomeObject_v1 hasa AnotherObject_v1 and AnotherObject is
>> updated?
>
> Also cannot happen.  An object that is being used in the definition of
> another object cannot be modified or deleted.

Same thing. What about deleting the childs first, then the parent and
afterwards reregistering the whole bunch (childs first of course).

Pi

> Both of these cases are tested and enforced at the code level.

> --
> --
> ...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
> --
> Mark Wilkinson
> Asst. Professor
> Dept. of Medical Genetics
> University of British Columbia
> PI in Bioinformatics
> iCAPTURE Centre
> St. Paul's Hospital
> Rm. 166, 1081 Burrard St.
> Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6
> tel: 604 682 2344 x62129
> fax: 604 806 9274
>
> "For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
>        a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
> What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and
> interesting
>       that communication has become more than a conduit,
>        it has become a destination in its own right..."
>
>                 Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future

Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
Laboratory of Bioinformatics
Transitorium (building 312) room 1038
Dreijenlaan 3
6703 HA Wageningen