[MOBY-dev] [moby] Re: RFC #1914 - change & call for vote

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Jan 17 20:55:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 20:38 +0100, Pieter Neerincx wrote:

>  I do think you
> should write a small update for the RFC though.

Martin and I agreed offline that I would do this update - after
Wednesday when I have finished lecturing for the week.

>  It's important we all
> know what exactly those new versioned LSIDs will look like. Will it
> be ...MyObject_timestamp, ...MyObject:timestamp

It will follow the proper LSID format, where the version is after teh
final ':'

urn:lsid:some.organization.urn:namespace:id:version

> it will be as long as we all know what it looks like. Therefore it
> should be written down somewhere and preferably documented on the
> BioMOBY website.

I will do that shortly - as an addendum to teh RFC for discussion.

> Some time later somebody else decides to update SomeObject, maybe for
> something as simple as a typo in the description.

They cannot.  MOBY Central will not allow this to happen (at least in
its current codebase).  An ontology term that is being used by a service
CANNOT be deleted or modified.

> Another thing I was wondering about is relationships. What happens if
> I have SomeObject_v1 hasa AnotherObject_v1 and AnotherObject is
> updated?

Also cannot happen.  An object that is being used in the definition of
another object cannot be modified or deleted.

Both of these cases are tested and enforced at the code level.

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future