[MOBY-dev] Versioning of LSID's and brief registry outages during transition

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 00:52:04 UTC 2006

Mark,
   Thanks for doing this. I was not on-line this week and I am reading my
mailbox from the bottom - so perhaps later I will find some reactions to
your plans (I apologize if I am suggesting now things that had been
already decided and solved).
   I am happy with your versioning. But if I choose I would choose just a
number of elapsed milisecond from the beginning of epoch (1/1/1970). This
would prevent of need to parse the formatted string in version (if one
decides to do so - I know that LSIDs are opaque :-)). It also prevents a
need to specify what format the string is in.
   But this is only a detail. Having versions in any format is the most
important.
   In both alternatives (ISO 8601 or ellapsed time), however, we need to
say what timezone the date is in, I guess.

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
consulting for:
   International Rice Research Institute
   Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
   DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
   Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)