[MOBY-dev] Versioning of LSID's and brief registry outages during transition

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Jan 23 23:24:48 UTC 2006

Hi all,

v.v. LSID versioning - I've put together code that handles LSID
versioning in the follwing way:  Namespaces, Objects, ServiceTypes, and
ServiceInstances all get an LSID exactly as before, with the addition of
a Version field (as defined in the LSID spec a ":" followed by the
version number).  The version format I'm going with is very similar to a
full ISO 8601 timestamp, except that it replaces the ":" between the
hour, min, sec with "-" as follows:

yyyy-mm-ddThh-mm-ss

For example:

urn:lsid:biomoby.org:objectclass:Object:2006-01-23T12-01-59

*****  Since this is an update to the RFC, can anyone with an interest
please give me a "yes" or a "no" on this new format?  We aren't
committed to it, it was just for my own testing purposes *****

I've also written a script that, I think, should update any registry
database such that all LSID's in all tables are identically timestamped
(since the LSID is often used in the database as the primary key!)

****** Is anyone dependent on the main registry being funny functional
this week?  Once I hear back from people v.v. this change to the RFC,
I'd like to run the script on the main registry.  Chances are this will
go smoothly, but I will have to take it down for a few minutes while I
do the update, so if anyone is critically depending on it being active
please let me know. ******

Cheers all!

Mark

...his last words were 'Hey guys!  Watch this!'
--
Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor

"For most of this century we have viewed communications as a conduit,
       a pipe between physical locations on the planet.
What's happened now is that the conduit has become so big and interesting
      that communication has become more than a conduit,
       it has become a destination in its own right..."

                Paul Saffo - Director, Institute for the Future