[MOBY-dev] Versioning of LSID's and brief registry outages during transition

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Jan 27 01:00:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:52:04 -0800, Martin Senger <senger at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

>    I am happy with your versioning. But if I choose I would choose just a
> number of elapsed milisecond from the beginning of epoch (1/1/1970). This
> would prevent of need to parse the formatted string in version (if one
> decides to do so - I know that LSIDs are opaque :-)).

:-) Yes, they are!  I'm easy either way - I thought it would be nice to
put it in ISO format just so that people could easily see the approximate
date the object/service was created "by eye", but I suspect that there
will be few opportunities for someone to actually SEE a MOBY LSID, so that
may not be a big benefit.

Does anyone else have an opinion?  I'm not fussy...

> It also prevents a
> need to specify what format the string is in.
>    But this is only a detail. Having versions in any format is the most
> important.
>    In both alternatives (ISO 8601 or ellapsed time), however, we need to
> say what timezone the date is in, I guess.

I guess it will be in whatever time-zone that particular registry is
in...  but since LSID's are supposed to be opaque, we shouldn't be
worrying about it ;-)