[personal] Re: [MOBY-dev] Migrating MOBY Central to the new object API - MONDAY OCT 24th

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Tue Oct 18 22:32:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 23:02 +0100, Martin Senger wrote:
> > So... I am sure that some of you will cheer this decision
> >
>    I am the one who cheers this decision :-)

I knew you would :-)

>    For example, there is a chain:
>    text-formatted inherits from text-plain inherits from String
>    Which object definition are you going to change? I guess the
> 'text-plain', correct? So now text-plain will contain a String under an
> article-name 'contents'. And the rest of the hierarchy tree will
> not be changed. Correct?

Correct.  We are only modifying the first level of objects that formerly
inherited from primitives.  Any deeper children's definitions will be
"updated" by virtue of inheritance, but not by any modification we make
to the ontology (similarly for hasa and has relationships).

"Ontologists do it with the edges!"

Mark Wilkinson
Asst. Professor
Dept. of Medical Genetics