[moby] Re: [MOBY-dev] Migration of database to new API

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Oct 6 21:39:45 UTC 2005

It's not just that, it's also the "spirit" of the matter.  e.g. our
LSID's are based on the name of the object.  Granted, we currently only
return metadata, so we could in principle re-define the object without
breaking the LSID standard, but it does break the "spirit" of the
identifier.

But having said that, I don't particularly care one way or the other.
It's painful no matter what we do.

1)  If we change to _2, deprecate the old ones, and after 6 weeks delete
the old, leaving the _2's in their place then:
	a)  people who are affected will have to update their servces
	b)  people will have to re-register their services

2)  If we change to _2 temporarily, deprecate, delete, and then rename
the _2's back again after 6 weeks:
	a)  people affected will have to either
		i) update their services, re-register, then
		ii) update their services again and re-register
	OR
		i) update their services and NOT re-register, and
		ii) their services will be "illegal" for 6 weeks,

There's no painless way to do this, so whatever the community feels is
best...