[moby] Re: [MOBY-dev] Migration of database to new API

Edward Kawas edward.kawas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:55:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am working on this script right now as we speak, but I
just wanted to get feedback (for a second time).

>From what I understand, I am going to go through the
ontology, and deprecate any data type that inherits from a
primitive. Any object that I deprecate will be duplicated
and have an _2 appended to its name as well as having its
ISA relationship set to object and adding a HASA primitive
relationship. So far so good.

In six weeks, I am going to go through the ontology and
remove all objects that inherit from a primitive, leaving
those that were duplicated with an _2 alone. Therefore, in 6
weeks, we will have objects like text-plain_2, text-xml_2,
etc.

I know that some people are fine with this and others are
not. Some might not even care. However, what I want to know
is what MOBYers think and if anyone has any other
comments/suggestions. So please let me know.

Just to get this started, I am still pretty iffy about
leaving x_2 data types in the ontology. I do see Marks point
on how services that are not updated choking since they
expect the data type to inherit from a primitive. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eddie