[moby] Re: [MOBY-dev] Migration of database to new API

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Thu Oct 6 16:08:10 UTC 2005

As you have noticed, the change has already happened at the code level
just to prevent any more registrations of what will soon be illegal
objects.  I have a script that will update the database records of the
ontologies and deprecate the old nodes, but we haven't yet run it on the
public registry.  Eddie is going to make a couple of changes to it over
the next day or two, and then will send out a heads-up that the
ontologies are changing forever, and a tutorial on how to do the update
for service providers.  We'll give a reasonable amount of time for
people to update their services (say, 6 weeks) and then we will delete
the old nodes from the ontology completely.  The script is in the CVS so
anyone running a registry can do the same thing.

When I went to update my own services it took me less than 5 minutes to
do so, so 6 weeks should be more than enough time for anyone who is
actively concerned about their service :-)

Cheers!

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 17:32 +0200, Pieter Neerincx wrote:
> On 27-Aug-2005, at 12:20 AM, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As we move toward deploying the new API, there are some serious
> > consequences on the underlying databases.
> >
> > Let me first re-cap the new API features that I am discussing and what
> > effects they have on the databases:
> >
> > 1)  Inheritence from primitives through ISA relationships is no longer
> > allowed.  e.g. plain-text ISA String  is no longer allowed.  To
> > achieve
> > the same result, you now create an object that inherits from Object
> > and
> > contains the primitive.  e.g. plain-text ISA Object; plain-text HASA
> > String.
>
> Hi Mark et al.,
>
> Any idea when this change will happen? If I look in the Central that
> is running the latest and greatest codebase, the forbidden ISA [some
> primitive] relationships are still in place :(. What is even worse is
> that the primitive DateTime ISA String. As a result I can not get one
> of my Objects (that plays by the rules of the latest specs)
> registered. At least I suspect this to be the problem. I don't get an
> error message when register my object, but it has amongst others a
> HASA DataTime and that relationship is not getting registered...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pi
>

> Wageningen University and Research centre (WUR)
> Laboratory of Bioinformatics
> Transitorium (building 312) room 1034
> Dreijenlaan 3
> 6703 HA Wageningen