[MOBY-dev] what are services LSIDs good for?

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 11:11:09 UTC 2005

Having an LSID of a service instance (as returned by 'findService' from a
registry) I can do two things: ask for data and ask for metadata
(connected to this LSID). The metadata is not the topic here (now).

What if I ask for data? I can get nothing back, indicating that there is
no data associated with this service instance. And I think that I would
get nothing because looking at the LSID now it does not seem to indicate
any data (it does not have any version etc., for example). I may be wrong,
but let's assume, only hypotetically, that I am not wrong and that really
I do not get back any data.

That's a pity because I want to improve my cache-aware clients by storing
LSID in my cache, then asking for a list of services, and by comparing
what I have and what I get, I can update in my cache only services that
changed.

Two problems with that:
   1) The list of services (method retrieveServices) does not return
LSIDs. Bad luck. Mark, you sent an email saying that lsid attribute is now
everywhere. Well, it is not...
   2) LSID resolver does return nothing when asking for data (if my
hophoteziz above is rigth).

   Can this be fixed please?
   Thanks you, Martin

   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
International Rice Research Institute
Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)