[MOBY-dev] Migration of database to new API

Benjamin Good goodb at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 27 22:37:26 UTC 2005

Jumping in since I was mentioned ...

In the current version of moby, as I understand it at least, I have
to side with Martin on this (sorry Mark, don't fire me!).

Ahab, as well as other generic clients, benefits substantially from
meaningful object and service names.  Taking your (Mark's) argument
further, we might as well eliminate human-readable names altogether
and simply assign a unique number to each one - which is fine for the
use as a machine name, but totally useless to an anonymous human user
of the data-type.

To be precise, in the current formulation of BioMoby, the ONLY
semantics associated with the data-types are encoded in the names of
the objects.  Thus, until we have a consistent framework for encoding
semantics in another more robust fashion, like a separate ontology
that has nothing to do with syntax, we should at least attempt to
encourage meaningful and consistent naming strategies.

-Ben