[MOBY-dev] TEST MOBY Central registry available

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca
Tue Jun 15 15:03:48 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Yeah yeah yeah, I know it has been a long time coming!

Yesterday I made some changes to the registry code that allowed it to
read its configuration from a config file, pointed to by an environment
variable in apache.  This made it easier to run multiple instances of
apache each with a different registry configuration.  (Rebecca - this is
something that your sysadmin requested ages ago!  please tell him it is
now done...)

As such, there is now a test version of the registry running at
mobycentral and you can feel free to mess that one up as much as you
wish.  There is currently no GUI client pointing to that, but you can
interact with it using the client-side libraries.

The test registry is a snapshot of how the "real" registry looked this
morning, but it is running from its own set of mySQL databases, so feel
free to add/remove/play because you wont harm the real registry nor the
real ontologies (touch wood...)

The URL and URI for the test registry are:

URL 'http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca:8080/cgi-bin/MOBY05/mobycentral.pl'

URI 'http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca:8080/MOBY/Central'

For those of you using my Perl libraries to connect, simply create an
instance of the MOBY::Client::Central as follows:

my $C = MOBY::Client::Central->new(
Registries => {
   mobycentral => {	URL =>
'http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca:8080/cgi-bin/MOBY05/mobycentral.pl',
			URI => 'http://mobycentral.cbr.nrc.ca:8080/MOBY/Central'
                  }
}
);

and then use the module as you normally would.  The perl test suite also
uses the test instance of the registry now, so "TotalCrap" should no
longer appear as a valid object in our ontologies ;-)

Cheers all!

Mark Wilkinson (mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca)
University of British Columbia iCAPTURE Centre