[MOBY] [MOBY-dev] for the polymorphism

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Fri Jun 11 16:09:27 UTC 2004

Hi,

There is a limitation in the current version of MOBY in that a service
instance has strictly defined inputs and outputs - no "either/or"
allowed.

As such, your scenario would require registration of two service
instances (though on the server-side they may well be handled by the
same piece of code...)

I must point out, however, that it would be quite peculiar for an object
representing a PDB record not to have a PDB number in its namespace/id
attributes, so I guess in principle I doubt that you would really need
to create both services... However, if you feel there is a need for
both, then I think you would also be well-advised to create a new Object
representing a PDB record that inherits from text-formatted (PDB_Record
ISA text_formatted, or something like that).  This would allow you to
specifically consume PDB records that may or may not have a PDB ID.

I hope that helps!

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 04:34, Yan Wong wrote:
> For example a service can accept either a object with namespace PDB
> or a plain text that is a PDB or anything else...
>
> How would this service, be registrated?
Mark Wilkinson (mwilkinson at mrl.ubc.ca)
University of British Columbia iCAPTURE Centre