[Bioperl-l] First cut svn repository [was Re: SVN and ...Re: Perltidy]

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Thu Jun 28 03:29:09 UTC 2007

I think Chris D and I will need to confer a bit on https+svn.  I
don't know when we'll have a good chance to discuss everything.  At
some point this discussion is may need to be taken off bioperl and
just the interested parties as we're delving into hardware geek land.

The repository machine (dev) is a locked down machine meaning it only
really runs ssh and not many servers include httpd.  We have
anonymous CVS (client and through httpd browsing) running on a
separate machine (code) that has the info rsynced over every 10 or 15
minutes. The foundation websites and mailing lists run on a third
machine (portal).

If we decide to support https we'll need to spend a little time
deciding how well we can keep it locked down - it will only be https
not http for example and we may want to see about limiting ssh access
to everyone if we migrate all OBF projects over to SVN and only
support https.

Again to re-iterate what I think we would do:
  - SVN read/write will live on 'dev', _WHEN_ we switch over no
writes to the CVS repository. It will be available by ssh+svn and
potentially by https+svn
  - SVN read-only will live on 'code', it will be accessible by http+svn
  - CVS read-only will live on 'code', this will only be a sync from
the SVN to the CVS.  See http://svn2cvs.tigris.org/ for details

As I tried to ask for in the past, would someone also illustrate the
importance of why _WE_ need to switch to SVN on a wiki page on
Bioperl so that when someone complains/asks about this in the future
the arguments are already laid out.  I am basically fine with it, but
I don't honestly see a compelling reason beyond what has been
mentioned wrt better integration in IDEs.
http://bioperl.org/wiki/Why_SVN

-jason