[Bioperl-l] First cut svn repository [was Re: SVN and ...Re: Perltidy]

Chris Dagdigian chris at bioteam.net
Thu Jun 28 04:08:25 UTC 2007

My understanding of "https+svn" is that it is actually WebDAV-over-
HTTP which means that not only would we need to light up a HTTPD
server on the developer box we'd also have to get a stable mod_dav
module installed (sometimes not trivial) and then we would have to
figure out how to handle the authentication bits. Right now with SSH
we use Unix group permissions to figure out who can write to what
repository -- WebDAV makes this a lot more complicated.

Forcing encryption over https will prevent someone from sniffing a
developer password which removes the main security issue. The next
problem is going to be integrating the DAV module with Linux PAM so
that existing usernames and passwords can be used, -OR- we have to
set up and maintain an entirely separate set of username and password
maps for each developer and each SVN project.

I'm not super concerned about this -- BioTeam runs svn internally and
we expose our SVN for employees both via WebDAV and SVN+SSH - it's
not that hard to set up.

My biggest concern really has to do with how much extra work this
will mean for the OBF sysadmin team. If there is an easy way to get a
stable Apache/DAV/SVN integration going with authentication coming
from Linux PAM then this is no big deal. If we have to manually
maintain separate authentication lists then it will be kind of a hassle.

Like Jason mentioned, the OBF currently segregates "stuff" onto three
different servers with three levels of security:

- dev.open-bio.org -- Developers only, SSH access only (main
sourcecode repository for OBF)
- portal.open-bio.org -- Websites, Wikis, Blogs, Mailing list servers
and helpdesk.open-bio.org
- code.open-bio.org -- "Disposable" anonymous access server that we
can easily burn/wipe/reinstall if it ever gets hacked

Everything else that Jason mentioned is fine and easy to set up (if
not already running):

  - SVN+SSH for developers
  - Anonymous SVN and Anonymous RSYNC for community access on
code.open-bio.org
  - svn2cvs for whomever wants it on code.open-bio.org
  - web based SVN code browser installed on http://code.open-bio.org

Regards,
Chris