[Bioperl-l] How to get rid of warnings

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Sun Aug 20 06:41:10 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2006, at 1:07 PM, Sendu Bala wrote:
>
>> Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>>> Well, the rule would be:
>>>
>>>     1) if a local (instance) verbosity has been set, use it
>>>     2) otherwise, if a global (class, static) verbosity has been set,
>>> use it
>>>     3) otherwise, use a default value.
>>>
>>> This would mean indeed that if you changed verbosity for a specific
>>> instance it will be unaffected by global changes of the verbosity level.
>>>
>>> If that doesn't sound good, you would reverse rules 1) and 2).
>>
>> But then if you set the global verbosity how do you later change your
>> mind, unset it, and go back to using instance verbosity?
>>

> I think verbosity can be changed using Bio::Root::Root method
> verbose($verbose_value).
[snip]

We know how verbose works. We're discussing a desire for a new ability
to set the verbosity for /all/ Root instances (hence 'global'), not just
one at a time.

My 'on'|'off' suggestion is a switch for global behaviour, not the
specific level of verbosity, which you would still (independently) chose.