[Bioperl-l] How to get rid of warnings

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 20 01:58:30 UTC 2006

On Aug 19, 2006, at 1:07 PM, Sendu Bala wrote:

> Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>> Well, the rule would be:
>>
>>     1) if a local (instance) verbosity has been set, use it
>>     2) otherwise, if a global (class, static) verbosity has been set,
>> use it
>>     3) otherwise, use a default value.
>>
>> This would mean indeed that if you changed verbosity for a specific
>> instance it will be unaffected by global changes of the verbosity
>> level.
>>
>> If that doesn't sound good, you would reverse rules 1) and 2).
>
> But then if you set the global verbosity how do you later change your
> mind, unset it, and go back to using instance verbosity?

I think verbosity can be changed using Bio::Root::Root method verbose
($verbose_value).  The method is a get/set which defaults to 0 (or
the previous set value if not 0) when called without an argument.
Every BioPerl class inherits Bio::Root::Root directly or indirectly;
many (but not all) allow you to set it via the constructor using '-
verbose'.

>> Or am I missing something?
>
> Well, assuming we would prefer global changes to really be global
> changes, and we reversed 1) and 2), if we have just a single simple
> global variable, how does a method like &warn even know that it is
> 'set'
> (and not still on its default value)? How does it know when it is
> unset
> (we no longer want a globally acting verbosity)?
>
> Like I say, you have to have a default of undef and set the value to
> undef to turn the feature off, which doesn't seem very nice to me.
>
> I'd prefer to be able to chose a global verbosity level and
> independently turn global behaviour on and off by supplying a method a
> boolean or even the words 'on'|'off', not supplying int or undef

I prefer to leave it as it is.  I don't think it is broken.  Using
verbose() is pretty straightforward: