[Bioperl-l] Proposed name change for 1.3 (1.4)

Paul Edlefsen pedlefsen at systemsbiology.org
Fri Feb 21 09:55:11 EST 2003

I've been working with Bio::SeqFeature::CollectionI, and have noticed
this inconsistency, that sometimes collections of Foos are called
FooCollectionI, and sometimes Foo::CollectionI.  I don't really know
why the word 'Collection' is at issue, but if we could be consistent
and make it Bio::Annotation::SetI instead of Bio::AnnotationSetI, that
would rumble well with my internal consistency meter.

:Paul

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:46:59 +0000 (GMT)
 Ewan Birney <birney at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> We've discovered that the terms AnnotationCollection (a "bundle" of
> things
> associated with one biological object,eg a gene) and AnnotationI (one
> of
> those things associated, eg a Reference or a dblink) are confusing
> people.
>

> After some names being thrown around, on the main trunk we propose
> the
> following terms:
>

>   AnnotationSetI ==> was AnnotationCollectionI, is the "bundle"
>
>   AnnotationI ==> was AnnotationI is the data item (we thought about
> "AnntotionTerm" but this seemed too specific).
>

> does anyone have any bright ideas for these beasts?

Paul T. Edlefsen  Software Engineer
The Institute for Systems Biology
1441 North 34th Street
Seattle, Washington 98103-8904