[Biojava-dev] Counting gaps

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:51:23 +1300

Hi -

In DistributionTools I have a method that generates a Distribution[]
from an Alignment. Originally I wanted to make it so that it could
optionally include the counts of the Gaps at any position in the
Alignment when determining the weights in the Distribution. Of course
there is no way for the Distribution to add counts of the Gap symbol so
the method gives the same result no matter what.

What would be the best way to include the Gaps during training?
Ultimately Alignments should really be implementations of MarkovModel
and GappedSequence should be a Markov chain (maybe for BioJava 2)

- Mark

Mark Schreiber PhD
Bioinformatics
AgResearch Invermay