[Open-bio-l] Open Source Services

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 20 17:43:59 UTC 2020

Hi Spencer,

Certainly food for thought... but I'm not sure what practically OBF, or
anyone else outside the original project team might do in this
specific instance.

Assuming some service was running on open source code, and the underlying
data was openly licenced, then in theory a team could potentially setup and
host a final snapshot of a deprecated service. But would that actually be
enough use to justify that effort (and the long term server costs -
including security maintenance)?

Rather, I think building services with federation or replication built in
from the start makes more sense - so there might be some mileage in
coordinating efforts and best practices. Perhaps encouraging the release of
virtual machines or images for re-runnable web-services (Docker,
Singularity, etc)? Also, some journals are very active in this area
(GigaScience).

Peter