[Open-bio-l] Open Source Services

Spencer Bliven spencer.bliven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 21:48:14 UTC 2020

Hey OBF,

The RCSB is currently phasing out some old web services, some of which BioJava depends on (see https://github.com/biojava/biojava/pull/882 for specifics). This got me thinking about how we don't really have good open source models for web services. Server source is usually closed, and may depend on specific databases. APIs may be documented, but there are usually specifics that you can only figure out from a running system. As a result, if a service shuts down there's not much that users of that service can do about it.

Are there any organizations interested in the continuity of Bioinformatics-related web services? If not, would this potentially fall under OBF's mission? If not direct hosting, maybe coordinating efforts or pest practices?

Cheers,
-Spencer