[Open-bio-l] Fwd: [Root-l] Source Code page on OBF wiki

Dan Bolser dan.bolser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 09:21:19 UTC 2011

On 6 March 2011 21:50, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Dan Bolser wrote:
>
>> Does open bio really house all the code from all these bio projects? I
>> guess not...
>
> Depends on what you mean by 'house', all of these were present in open-bio version control (CVS/SVN) at one point, but most repos have recently migrated away from the open-bio-centric version control.  EMBOSS and a few others are still using CVS I think.
>
>> If not, I'd turn this page into a table of links to the equivalent
>> pages for the other projects.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> My own feeling is that when it comes to documentation, less is more
>> (or it should be as modular as possible). I hate it when GBrowse
>> starts telling me precisely how to install Apache and MySQL, but
>> apparently some people like it like that.
>
> GBrowse users are fairly diverse (ranging from users well-versed with SQL/Apache/etc and other not so much:).  I would rather have too much documentation, but have it be well-organized to the point where more experienced users can bypass certain instructions.

Agreed.

I think the MediaWiki documentation on www.mediawiki.org is a good
example. With tutorials, TOCs, pages for specific settings and good
use of categories. In my (limited) experience, only the bioperl wiki
comes close to this standard.

Anyway, I'm probably trolling way off topic with that last remark.