[Open-bio-l] Fwd: [Root-l] Source Code page on OBF wiki

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Sun Mar 6 21:50:36 UTC 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Dan Bolser wrote:

> Does open bio really house all the code from all these bio projects? I
> guess not...

Depends on what you mean by 'house', all of these were present in open-bio version control (CVS/SVN) at one point, but most repos have recently migrated away from the open-bio-centric version control.  EMBOSS and a few others are still using CVS I think.

> If not, I'd turn this page into a table of links to the equivalent
> pages for the other projects.

Agreed.

> My own feeling is that when it comes to documentation, less is more
> (or it should be as modular as possible). I hate it when GBrowse
> starts telling me precisely how to install Apache and MySQL, but
> apparently some people like it like that.

GBrowse users are fairly diverse (ranging from users well-versed with SQL/Apache/etc and other not so much:).  I would rather have too much documentation, but have it be well-organized to the point where more experienced users can bypass certain instructions.

chris