[Open-bio-l] Automated testing server; was [BioRuby] tutorial

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Fri Mar 4 16:34:39 UTC 2011

Just to quickly add, for BioJava, we are already using CruiseControl
for automated testing, building and making nightly releases. I am
hosting this on one of my work servers:
http://source.rcsb.org:8080/cruisecontrol/  but would be happy if this
would be moved to an OBF service.

Only issue with this system is that mailman keeps filtering out the
notification emails that are being generated if one of the junit tests
(or compilation) fails, so I still have to myself keep chasing
developers who break the build.

Andreas

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Peter Cock wrote:

>>> I think it would be nice to have a smoke server there as well (I don't
>>> think buildbot can do that, AFAIK).  Will ask Chris D about it.
>>
>> Can you clarify what you mean by smoke server? I'd assumed it was
>> a product name but now it sounds like you mean some methodology.
>>
>> We have buildbot setup to do a nightly test of the latest code on all
>> the slaves. Additionally, via the web interface an admin can force a
>> rebuild, and force a build of the current latest code.
>>
>> In theory one can also hook up buildbot to run tests triggered by
>> commits - I understand this isn't available for git repositories yet
>> though (at least, that's my recollection from dicussion with Tiago,
>> BCC'd in case he isn't on open-bio-l yet).
>
> A smoke server holds test results submitted from users, or really anyone who has a set of modules/tools installed; it can be part of the build/testing process.  It's less automated building and more distributed than buildbot: the server doesn't call out to a specific set of build servers to run builds and tests, but relies on the community (developers, users) to run tests and submit them.  CPAN has this built in via CPAN Testers; one can install a set of modules and then, every time a dist is installed via CPAN a test report is sent to a remote server:
>
> http://www.cpantesters.org/distro/B/bioperl.html
>
> This is similar to what the bioruby folks are searching for, if I'm not mistaken.
>
> (Just so there is no confusion, in most cases with software 'smoke testing' refers to a set of prelim tests to make sure a build works, but in practice with small projects the term equally applies to running every test)
>
>>> I like the fact that we now are diversifying beyond perl-based
>>> solutions with buildbot and redmine (I would include mediawiki,
>>> but PHP gives me the hives :).  Any easily-installable Java-based
>>> ones?
>>
>> As long as the OBF has enough people familiar with the tool
>> to support it, I don't care what language it is written in.
>
> Same here.
>
> chris

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526