[Open-bio-l] Toolkits and the new eutils policies

Ewan Birney birney at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 19:59:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Peter wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:
>> I'll cc this for the others in BioPerl, Biopython, Bioruby,
>> Ensembl, etc so they know and can pass it around.
>> Thanks Eric, happy to have that clarified.
>>
>> chris
>
> Thanks Chris (& Eric),
>
> Looks like we are fine as things stand: continue to
> encourage the user to set the email (with a warning
> if omitted), and try to encourage them to override the
> tool parameter if appropriate (e.g. if part of a larger
> application like a Galaxy workflow).
>
> [I don't see any point in forcing people to invent
> tool names for each of their one off Entrez scripts,
> or interactive sessions - defaulting to BioPerl etc
> here seems sane]

At the very least teh default should be "BioPerl Toolkit Placeholder For
Non Registered Client" so that NCBI know precisely that the end
programmer has not put something in there sensibly.

And there should be a loud warning. I think it's fine to actually
throw an exception. If someone is running a one off script, then they
made the function call and can modify it. If someone's developing
something more serious then they've got the time to think it through.

I see little benefit in letting a default happen with just a warning.

> Peter

Ewan Birney.  Work:  +44 1223 494420
              Email:  birney "at" ebi.ac.uk
Clerical Assistant:  shelley "at" ebi.ac.uk
Please cc shelley for urgent or diary-dependent requests