[Open-bio-l] Re: [Biohackathon] Performance measurements

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 02:12:26 -0500 (EST)

[flipping this over to open-bio-l]

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Jean-Jack Riethoven wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I understood from Martin Senger that a fair bit of performance testing was
> done at the biohackathonII with regard top Seq-fetching servers, but not
> such real tests were performed for XEMBL.
>
> I further understand that an article around these measurements is put
> together -> in light of this would you like me to do the measurements on
> XEMBL. At the same time I can check what is exactly the culprit of the
> 'slowness' of the XEMBL SOAP server (XML::Parser, SOAP-enveloping,
> gzip on > 10K bases seq, transport itself, or database access).
>
> Just throw me the test set of genes to fetch and a description of the
> exact measurements you'd like to see.

Jean-Jack...

Do the following:

  - check out bioperl-live from anonymous cvs at cvs.bioperl.org

  - set up a script to get a random 2000 sequences from XEMBL using the
Bio::DB::XEMBL module

  - give us the #entries per second retrieved