[Open-bio-l] Re: [Biohackathon] Apple contact

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 07:01:38 -0400

Hey Elia-

We (bioteam.net) are working on the Xserve cluster that will be housed
in Apple's executive briefing center in California and I think there is
a really good chance that we'll get hired to work on a couple of largish
sized xserve "bioclusters" in the next few months. Our Apple guru (Bill
Van Etten) is travelling right now but I'm sure that once I can reach
him :) he can give you the contact info you need to reach the right
people at Apple directly.

Regarding the free apple stuff- my recollection was that Apple was
seeking "suggestions" from various people in the community as to how
they could best seed some of their hardware to key people in the field.
I'm not actually sure that anything happened to this because I remember
peeking at some of the names submitted and I don't think any of them got
seeded.

If I can't reach Bill today I'll dig through my Apple business cards and
ask someone who is the contact for Xserve in Singapore.

The Xserve units are worth evaluating if you are thinking of a cluster.
It will depend though on your application mix if the price/performance
is going to be reasonable.  Some groups will benefit and others may be
better off with linux-on-intel. We've advised some people to go with
Apple and others to stay away.

-Chris