[Open-bio-announce] [Call for Submissions] Biological Systems Design 2012 - ISMB 2012 - July 13, 2012, Long Beach, CA

BSD-SIG (ISMB 2012) bsd2012 at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 11 15:07:22 UTC 2012

Apologies for cross-posting
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP ON BIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS DESIGN (BSD-SIG 2012)

Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB 2012)
July 13, 2012 - Long Beach, CA USA

Homepage: http://bsd2012.bme.jhu.edu/
Submission site: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=bsdsig2012
Email: bsd2012 at jhu.edu

** Important Dates **

Paper submission: April 20, 2012
Author notification: May 4, 2012
Workshop: July 13, 2012

**Keynote Speakers**

- Jef D. Boeke,  Johns Hopkins University
- Christodoulos A. Floudas, Princeton
- Dan Gusfield, UC Davis
- Nathan J. Hillson, Joint BioEnergy Institute
- Christina Smolke, Stanford University

**Invited Speakers**

- Jake Beal, BBN Technologies
- Michal Galdzicki, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Sarah Richardson, Joint Genome Institute

**Aims and Scope**

The complexity of the genomic structure and our limited understanding
of biological processes require new computational methods to investigate
the huge number of possible designs for circuits, pathways, and entire
genomes, with the ideal being the ability to model, simulate and
redesign a biological system in-silicon prior to fabrication, similar to
CAD/CAM for physical devices.

Synthetic Biology aims to establish a standard and effective biological
design flow, where biological systems are designed and verified
computationally,
before in vitro synthesis and in vivo experiments. Each phase of this
process has multiple challenges ranging from managing high-throughput
laboratory operations to developing new software and defining accurate and
interoperable computational models.

The Special Interest Group in Biological Systems Design (BSD-SIG 2012)
aims to provide a broad view of the current state-of-the-art for scientists
from biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics and engineering.

**Sessions**

- Genome Design
- Protein Design
- Computer Aided Design Tools
- Data management & standards

**Submissions**

We encourage submissions in the form of oral and poster presentation;
authors must submit a 1 page abstract specifying the track and the form
of the contribution.

Contributions must be submitted through EasyChair:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=bsdsig2012

We are looking forward to see you in Long Beach:

Joel Bader, Doug Densmore, Swapnil Bathia and Giovanni Stracquadanio