[MOBY-l] Services accepting multiple inputs

Andreas Groscurth groscurt at mpiz-koeln.mpg.de
Thu Apr 3 10:47:41 UTC 2008

Ola Spjuth wrote:
> I suppose it would be possible to set up another version of the
> service that accepted a MobyDataComposite containing an arbitrary
> number of wrapped MobyDataObject, and delivers a MobyDataComposite as
> output, containing an arbitrary number of objects?
no - because MobyDataComposite is the represent of complex data types,
NOT for an arbtrary number of inputs.

A service can accept one MobyDataObject (a single Object), one
MobyDataComposite (a single complex type, like AminoAcidSequence) or
more of them or a combination of them... but its not for using a
collection of intputs just because it could be convenient to call a
service with several different inputs !

just use for each input object a differnent cal - that would mobyrequest
have also to do... becaus a service which defines one input can not take
more inputs...

> This means you need 2 different services to accommodate for the case
> of one input object and another for many inputs, and the situation is
> left to service providers and not handled by Moby. Is this a correct
> observation?
Why 2 different services ? Either your service takes e.g. one GI to do
something, or takes a collection... Of course its up to the service
provider to know what his services does and therefore to offer one of
either possibilities. And if the services takes a collection of input -
of course you can set more than one input (like 3 GIs), BUT if the
service is registered with only one input - you have to stick to its rules.

Best
andreas