[MOBY-l] The idea of namespaces !!!

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Wed Sep 12 01:06:31 UTC 2007

Hi Maliha,

Unfortunately the idea of "Namespace" is not only the most confusing part
of Moby for newcomers, it is also a part of Moby that is (at least
partially) out of our control.

Our Namespace list is actually synchronized with the Gene Ontology Xref
Abbreviations List.  In the Moby community we use these in specific ways,
however they aren't necessarily used *precisely* the same way in GO.  This
is likely why there are some somewhat "ambiguous" namespaces in the Moby
namespace list (there is a non-Moby API into the Namespace Ontology that
is used by the GO curators!).

The rule-of-thumb is:  If you need to identify it, then it needs a
namespace.  i.e. if you need to be able to find a "thing" based on its
identifier, then that identifier needs a namespace that is sufficiently
specific that you don't have identifier collisions.  If your splice
variants are all named as sub-species of your transcripts (e.g. transcript
100, splice variant 100.1  splice variant 100.2, etc.) then you really
don't need two namespaces for them...