[MOBY-l] MobyDataSetInstance vs MobyDataSimpleinstance

Paul Gordon gordonp at ucalgary.ca
Tue Apr 19 15:19:38 UTC 2005

>   Yes, Instance should be used in time of executing a service. Or calling
>a service, I am not sure now (I nbever wrote any BioMoby service myself,
>yet :-)).

Aha :-)

>   But I may still be a bit confused. So my question is still here: Could
>you or could you not to use MobyPrimaryDataSet to create a service
>template and use it for finding matching services in a registry?

MobyDataSimpleInstance now calls super.toXML() when appropriate, but
for now, MobyDataSetInstance reimplements the central-mode toXML()
because it is unclear how
MobyDataSetInstance.setElements() should be used.  Us people
implementing services run into these snags ;-)

Personally, I'd be much more comfortable with a
MobyPrimaryDataSet.setElementTypes()/addElementType() structure, since
it doesn't make much sense to pass in an actual number of items (as an
array encodes) unless you've got MobyDataInstances.  In this case, I
could update the MobyPrimaryDataSet datatypes list in a reasonably
efficient way within MobyDataSetInstance.setElements(), and call
super.toXML() when appropriate.